Foster parents and kinship caregivers help connect children with family and community. These caregivers play an important role in supporting the well-being of Alberta’s children and helping families reunite. And I thank them for the important role they play in our communities.
Irfan Sabir, MLA for calgary-mccall
Foster caregivers come from all cultural and social backgrounds and are of any relationship status including common-law and same-sex relationships. To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a resident of Alberta and are at least 18 years old
- You are either single or are in a stable relationship for at least 12 months prior to applying, if cohabitating
- You are physically and mentally capable of safely caring for children with no major illness or trauma in the past 12 months
- You have a residence separate and apart from other caregivers
- You are financially stable
- You have not become responsible for an additional child in the past year, and/or are currently expecting an additional child through pregnancy or adoption
A foster child can be of any age or gender. Some children need longer term placements (especially teenagers) and others need short term placements.
Foster children may:
Foster children are like other children and require love, comfort, security and stability.
They take care for the day-to-day needs of their foster child, including the child’s physical, spiritual and cultural needs.
They work as a team member with their foster child, the foster child’s family, the foster child’s caseworker, and other professionals.
They complete foster care training that enhances and develops their parenting skills to a professional level.
Supports are provided through Children's Services foster care support workers, other foster parents and the Alberta Foster Parent Association.
Supports include, but are not limited to, ongoing contacts and visits from the foster care support worker and the child’s caseworker, training, resources for respite and child care, peer support, support groups, and recognition events.
McMan Foster Recruitment
McMan recruits and trains foster and adoptive families for Children's Services in Medicine Hat, Brooks and surrounding area.